Looking for dog friendly recreation in Carmel?
There are so many ways to enjoy the great outdoors with your pet! Whether you’re looking for beaches, hiking trails, or walking tours, Carmel is one of the most dog friendly towns around!
The SPCA of Monterey County has a complete list of all beaches open to dogs and their companions, please check website for contact info and directions. Here are the ones in Carmel:
- Carmel Beach – Dogs allowed off leash with current vaccinations and license. Must remain within immediate voice control.
- Carmel River State Beach – Dogs on short leash only, beware of strong surf, bird sanctuary.
- Garland Ranch Regional Park – Dogs on short leach or within immediate voice control.
- Garrapata State Park Beach – Dogs on short (6ft or less) leash only, beware of strong surf.
Local hiking trails and parks are a great place to take your furry family members to run off that extra energy. BringFido.com and NatureDogs.com offer great information on dog-friendly attractions all over the world, and they have a solid lists of parks and trails. Consult the websites for contact info and directions:
- Carmel Meadows – 2 miles of trails along beaches and bluff.
- Carmel Walks – 2 hour walking tours of downtown Carmel, dogs on short leash. Ask for dog friendly tours when making reservations.
- Garland Ranch Regional Park – Dogs are allowed off leash in certain areas only. All other areas welcome dogs on short leashes. Be cautious with dogs on horse trails please.
- Garrapata State Park – Dogs on short leash only.
- Mission Trail Park – 35 acres of wooded trails. Mulched trails are kind to older canine joints.
- Point Lobos State Reserve – Hike along the coast to view wildflowers, wildlife, and beautiful scenery. Dogs on short leash only.
Boating and surfing with your best friend is a great way to spend a sunny day! CarmelCalifornia.org has some great suggestions of where to go to find the best water fun with Fido. For directions or contact info for each place, please visit their website. To learn more about how to plan for a vacation with your puppy, check out this article by Your Dog Advisor.
- Surf Carmel Beach – Bring your own gear. Dogs must have current license and registration and be within voice control or on a short leash.
- Adventures by the Sea offers kayak rentals at Point Lobos and Fort Ord, and at Laguna Seca Recreation Area. Ask for dog-friendly rentals and tours when making reservations. Dogs on short leash.
Enjoy your favorite recreation in the great outdoors with your dog in Carmel!