Cars, Motorsports, Automotive Elegance!
2017 Monterey Car Week
To automobile enthusiasts of all kinds: three major, connected, annual events are just down the road. All of them are in the Monterey area. All of them attract a great deal of attention every year. Coming up in this summer’s Monterey Car Week are the Motorsports Reunion and the Concours d’Elegance. Three different sets of events, book-cased by many others, showcasing spectacular automobiles. Whatever ways you like your cars – classic, powerful, or elegant – you will be able to satisfy your curiosity very shortly. Below are some essential details for Car Week, along with dates, times, and appropriate website addresses.
A one-word description of this internationally known event might be, as the organizers say on their official Web page: “fantastic”. Amazing and rare cars displayed across “the most beautiful golf courses in the world.” Exclusive and rare automobiles being sold for a fortune. Thunderous noises as vintage race cars weave through Laguna Seca Raceway.
Following are a few of the many things that will take place during Monterey Car Week this year. Please be advised that every day features numerous events, so we will be unable to cover everything here. For a detailed listing of events, including links to additional websites, or to purchase tickets, please visit the Monterey Car Week event page.
- Tuesday, August 15, 2016 – Concours on the Avenue, on Ocean Avenue in Carmel, is a free event with over 175 vehicles to peruse. Art galleries, wine tasting, and restaurants in downtown Carmel are conveniently located for fun activities to supplement the day. Switching gears, the Classic Motorsports Kick-off on Lighthouse Avenue in Pacific Grove will be from 3-7pm.
- Wednesday, August 16, 2016 – Four separate activities happen this day, beginning at 10 a.m. with the Carmel Mission Classic. Next is the very popular Little Car Show on Lighthouse Avenue in downtown Pacific Grove. The timing is from noon to 5 p.m. Then we have the Prancing Ponies Car Show featuring women exclusively throughout Carmel-by-the-Sea. Finally the McCall’s Motorworks Revival at the Monterey Jet Center 5-10pm.
- Thursday, August 17, 2016 – Taking advantage of our beautiful 17-Mile Drive, is the Pebble Beach Tour d’Elegance, presented by Rolex. Cars line up from 7-8 a.m. near Collins Field in Pebble Beach. At 9am., they’re off, taking advantage of portions of 17-Mile Drive. The Tour arrives in Carmel between noon and 2pm, displayed on Ocean Avenue, and after that, the Tour returns to Pebble Beach. As mentioned, there are quite a few automotive affairs happening this day. Others include Russo and Steele’s 16th Annual Sports and Muscle Auction in downtown Monterey, the Italian Stampede, driving from L.A. to Monterey, and the Third Annual ‘AIM for the Cures’ Dinner at Pebble Beach. An amazing line up on Thursday.
- Friday, August 18, 2016 – The busiest, most action-packed day! Legends of the Autobahn featuring BMW, Audi, and Mercedes-Benz at Nicklaus Club, Monterey from 8am-3pm. There’s also the Porsche Club hosting the Wrks Reunion from 7am-4pm. Next the Quail Motorsports Gathering from 10am-4pm with beautiful supercars. Then the Exotic Cars on Cannery Row from 3-8pm, and finally the Pacific Grove Auto Rally from 1pm-5:30pm.
- Saturday, August 19, 2016 – Saturday we have the Concorso Italiano at Bayonet Blackhorse Golf Course with hundreds of Italian cars, great food and music. We also have the Concours d’Lemons from 10am-1P30pm at Laguna Grande Park. Finally the Barnyard Ferrari from 4pm-7pm in the Carmel Barnyard.
- Sunday, August 20, 2016 – Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance
We thought we would close out our post by covering the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance separately. While ‘only’ a part of Sunday’s activities, it is one of the most well-known automobile events on the planet. The Financial Times calls it “The number one event of its type in the world.” Fitting that it takes place on the last day of Car Week. Lots of details about this, and you can certainly read all about it by clicking the above website link. How about we end up by saying this: for a starting price of $375 you can join in the rarefied atmosphere at The Lodge at Pebble Beach on Sunday morning. What’s your return on investment? Incalculable. You will see “200 of the most prized collector cars in the world”.
In addition to all of this, you’ll take in new car debuts and concept cars. What an amazing way to cap off Car Week!
Enjoy, safely, a summer of very special automobiles. Happy motoring!
This list was accurate at the time of publication; please check directly with the venue(s) to ensure dates, times, and locations remain the same.